Child Car Restraints
WALGA RoadWise coordinates the Type 1 Child Car Restraint Fitting Service which provides the public with access to child car restraint fitting services across Western Australia. It provides training and ongoing support to the network of Type 1 Child Car Restraint (CCR) Fitters.
The service also provides a telephone information service and this website to provide the public with access to information about fitting service locations and advice on child car restraints.
Child Car Restraint Information
Find a Type 1 Child Car Restraint Fitter near you
Type 1 CCR Fitters offer child car restraint fitting and checking services to the community. Type 1 CCR Fitters either offer this service free of charge or on a fee-for-service basis.
A list of Type 1 CCR Fitters is available from the Type 1 Child Car Restraint Fitters (By Region) page.
Child Car Restraints: Minimum age requirements
Using an appropriate child car restraint can greatly reduce the risk of death or serious injury to a child in the event of a crash. The following information is intended as a quick reference guide to using child car restraints:
Birth - 6 months
- Rearward facing restraint - capsule or rearward facing convertible restraint
6 months - 4 years
- Rearward facing restraint, or
- Forward facing restraint with a five point internal harness - forward facing convertible restraint with a five point internal harness, or a combination restraint used with a five point internal harness.
4 - 7 years
- Forward facing restraint witha five point internal harness, or
- Booster seat with a lap sash seat belt or h-harness, or
- Combination restraint used in a booster seat mode.
The Australian Standard for Child Car Restraints AS/NZS 1754:2010 and 2013 are based on a child's age and height. This has changed from earlier Standards which included weight.
When using a restraint from an earlier Standard you must still comply with the manufacturer’s weight limit for that restraint.
Visit the Child Car Restraints Resources page to download a copy of the RoadWise guide to using Child Car Restraints brochure.
Contact the Child Car Restraint Fitting Information Line
The Child Restraint Information Line telephone number is 1300 780 713. This service operates from Monday to Friday from 9.00am - 2.00pm (WST).
|Child Car Restraint Fitting Information Line|
||1300 780 713 (WST)
||Monday to Friday 9am - 2pm