Local People Taking Action to Reduce Local Road Trauma
Posted on: Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 12:00:00 AM
The Great Southern Road Safety Conference 2018 - Local People Taking Action to Reduce Local Road Trauma
Last month the Cranbrook RoadWise Committee coordinated a successful conference, engaging road safety advocates and leaders in the Great Southern region.
Attended by close to 50 delegates from the region's RoadWise Committees, State Government agencies, Local Governments, industry and private business, the day also provided an opportunity to share information and network.
Presentations incorporated the conference theme, fatigue, which has been identified as an ongoing road safety issue in the region. Presenters discussed contributing factors, prevention measures, consequences and local initiatives being delivered in communities to help address the issue.
The conference also provided a forum for the region's RoadWise Committees to highlight their local achievements and look at the direction of road safety in WA.
Congratulations to the Cranbrook RoadWise Committee for coordinating the annual Great Southern Road Safety Conference. A great day was had by all and we’re looking forward to the next one!
Pictured above: Congratulations to the Cranbrook RoadWise Committee for coordinating the annual Great Southern Road Safety Conference 2018; Delegates enjoy the Great Southern Road Safety Conference 2018 (collage).
Sharing Information and Knowledge
Eleven presentations were delivered across the day of the conference, focusing on the following topics:
- Medicines and Driving - Brad Smithson, Pharmacist/ Proprietor, TerryWhite Chemmart, Chester Pass, Albany.
- Heavy Vehicle Rest Bay: Speed and Fatigue on Local Roads - Jeff Alderton, Manager of Works, Shire of Cranbrook.
- Safe Vehicles - Roger Farley, Assistant Director, Strategic Communications, Road Safety Commission.
- Fatigue Related Accidents – A Day on the Job - Anne Parsons and Peter Slater, St John Ambulance, Cranbrook and Sgt Laurie Seton, WA Police Force, Cranbrook.
- Great Southern Police District - Ian Clarke, District Superintendent, WA Police Force.
- Fatigue: A Main Roads Perspective - Andrew Duffield, Regional Manager, Main Roads WA, Great Southern.
- Road Safety in WA - Iain Cameron, Acting Commissioner, Road Safety Commission.
- Fatigue in the Trucking Industry - Glenn ‘Yogi’ Kendall, Kendall Trucking Co.
- Sober Super Hero - Wayne Austin, Deputy Principal, Denmark Senior High School and Sgt Matt Hartfield, WA Police Force, Denmark.
- Local Occupational Therapist Driver Assessment Services - Emma Tozana, Senior Occupational Therapist, Functional Revival.
- Fatigue and Roads - Cr Len Handasyde, Shire of Plantagenet.
Contact Road Safety Advisor Andrea Smithson via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mob: 0418 904 081 to find out more about the Great Southern Road Safety Conference 2018.
Visit the Image Gallery to access the confrence photos.
Back to Search Results