Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale
The Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale covers 905sqkms and has a population of 23,680. Of its 769kms of roads, 21% are unsealed.
The Shire supports the Blessing of the Roads and Road Ribbon for Road Safety campaigns, to contribute to raising awareness of road safety in the local area.
Community group drives the way to improve highway safety in Byford
Since 2004, the Byford Progress Association has been working with the Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale to improve the safet of people using the South West Highwaym which runs through the centre of Byford.
The highway separates residents from all amenities and services including shops, schools and medical facilities.
To date the following has been achieved:
- Traffic lights installed at a major intersection
- Opening of the central median strip
- Speed limit reduced to 50km/h through the town centre
- Central median lights with a pelican crossing installed
- Resurfacing of sections of the road completed
- Entry statements, landscaping and artwork along the highway to create a lower speed environment (pictured below)
The Progress Association continues to work on strategies to improve the town along the highway, including advocating for overtaking lanes on either side of Byford.
Members are currently looking to produce a street art trail brochure to encourage those driving through town to stop and take a break or at least slow down and enjoy the ride.
Pictured above: Entry statements, landscaping and artwork installed along the highway to create a lower speed environment.
Contact - Engel Prendergast, Senior Road Safety Consultant
<< Back To Metropolitan South Region