Safe Vehicles Facts
- Buying safer vehicles could result in around a third less people being killed or seriously injured in crashes.
- Vehicle safety features can help avoid crashes and protect vehicle occupants in the event of a crash.
Thinking of buying a car? Make it a safe one!
Not all cars are equal when it comes to safety. Luckily there are ways to check which cars are safer.
Both new and used cars can be checked for safety performance through the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) and the Used Car Safety Ratings (UCSR).
Don’t take a chance when buying a car – check out the safety ratings at www.ancap.com.au for new cars and www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au for used cars.
Vehicle Safety Features
Vehicle safety features can be both active and passive.
Active safety features help to prevent a crash from occuring and include collision warning systems, lane departure warning systems, Electronic Stability Control, Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), active braking systems, anti-lock braking systems, driver attention detection, reversing cameras and Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA).
Passive safety features are designed to protect vehicle occupants once a crash has occured and include seatbelts, side and curtain airbags. active head restraints and cargo barriers.
Tools and Resources
- Fleet Safety Resource Kit - The WALGA RoadWise Program has developed a Fleet Safety Resource Kit to assist Local Governments in developing and adopting fleet safety policies. Workplace related road crashes are the most common cause of death, injury and absence from work in Australia. Visit the Tools and Resources page to download this kit.
- 'Safe System Approach - I Can' posters - provides practical safe speed related actions and initiatives for Local Governments and members of the road safety network. Visit the Tools and Resources page to download this information sheet.
- The 2018/19 Used Car Safety Ratings Buyer’s Guide provides buyers with safety ratings on second-hand vehicles to help them choose a vehicle with the best driver protection and greatest number of safety features.
Safe Vehicles News
Find out more information