The Western Australian Local Government Association (WALGA) is the peak industry body for Local Governments in WA, working for Local Governments in Western Australia.
- WALGA represents Local Governments on the Road Safety Council.
- WALGA assists Local Government by developing policy positions and advocating on a range of road and transport related issues.
- WALGA’s RoadWise receives funding from the Road Trauma Trust Account (RTTA), operated by the Road Safety Commission and approved by the Minister, and through the State Road Funds to Local Government Agreement.
- WALGA’s RoadWise is the Local Government and Community Road Safety Program for WA and works with communities to take action to reduce road trauma, supporting and contributing to the implementation of the road safety strategy for Western Australia 2020-2030.
- RoadWise is working with communities to take action to reduce road trauma.
The Role of Local Government in Road Safety
- Local Governments are responsible for designing, building and maintaining an extensive road network.
- Collectively, Local Governments manage 88% of the WA road network, where almost 60 per cent of serious crashes occur.
- Almost every journey begins and ends on local roads, with just under half (43%) of all travel occurring on local roads.
- Local Governments are well positioned to have influence over road safety through their responsibilities as a road and planning authority, an employer, fleet operator and through community leadership.
Delivering Road Safety Initiatives
WALGA’s RoadWise works to build the capacity of Local Governments, the community, and other agencies to effectively deliver road safety initiatives aligned to the road safety strategy for Western Australia 2020-2030.
Building capacity is achieved by improving individual skills, strengthening community action and empowering organisations to take responsibility for road safety and contribute to better road safety outcomes.
Our Road Safety Programs
- We work with the RoadWise road safety network, which includes Local Governments, State and Federal Government agencies, community groups, and individuals, to develop and deliver creative, evidence-informed road safety initiatives and resources.
- We coordinate and deliver the Child Car Restraint (CCR) Program, which trains and supports a statewide network of Type 1 Child Car Restraint Fitters and provides a telephone information service and website to provide the public with access to information about fitting service locations, training and advice on child car restraints.
- We develop road safety resources and campaign material for use by the network, including the wellrecognised Blessing of the Roads and Road Ribbon for Road Safety® statewide community road safety campaigns.
- We coordinate the Driver Reviver and Coffee Stop programs in Western Australia.
- We develop road safety resources specifically for Local Government, including the Local Government Safe System Toolkit, the Safe System Guiding Principles for Local Government, the Local Government Fleet and Workplace Safety Kit and the Road Safety Around Schools Guidelines.
- We coordinate the Local Government Road Safety Awards and a RoadWise awards and recognition program.
More information on these programs can be found throughout this website.
Each year, WALGA's RoadWise produces an Achievements Report which highlights some of the key achievements of the Program from the wide range of road safety activities undertaken during the year.
WALGA's RoadWise Achievements Report 2019-20 is now available, along with a one page summary document.
Visit the Tools and Resources section of this website to access current and historical WALGA RoadWise Achievements Reports.