2014 Local Government Road Safety Awards
Posted on: Monday, 17 March 2014 at 12:00:00 AM
Award recipients, left to right from back row: Dennis Blair, City of Wanneroo; Matthew MacPherson, Town of Claremont; Cr Bronwen Scott, Shire of Irwin; Cr David Boothman, City of Stirling; Cr Mick Wainwright, City of Swan; Hon. Liza Harvey MLA; Rudi Steffens; and Saba Kirupananther, Town of Claremont
On Thursday 6 March 2014, the Local Government Road Safety Awards were presented by the Hon. Liza Harvey MLA, Minister for Police; Tourism; Road Safety; Women’s Interests, at the Transport and Roads Forum held at the Crown Perth.
The Awards commenced in 2000 and are a joint initiative between the WA Local Government Association’s RoadWise Program and the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasian (WA Division). The Awards seek to acknowledge achievements by Local Governments and individuals in the area of road safety.
This year the Local Government Road Safety Awards recognised six Local Governments and one individual for their efforts in road safety through engineering innovation and community participation
WALGA President Mayor Troy Pickard said “The Awards recognise initiatives and strategies employed by the sector to achieve greater safety on local roads”.
“Road safety is an important part of the community and Local Governments have a key role in applying the safe system approach to ensure the Towards Zero strategy is being effectively implemented”.
“These awards serve to highlight and recognise projects that contribute to the objectives of the Towards Zero Road Safety Strategy, and this year’s winners reveal the great work Councils are undertaking in quite diverse areas”
“One Award recipient, Rudi Steffens, has volunteered an enormous amount of hours, dedicated his time to road safety awareness throughout the community and lobbied for numerous road improvements within the City of Wanneroo. To acknowledge this, Rudi was awarded with the prestigious Joe North Award”.
The Award Winners are:
Safe Roads and Roadsides Category
- Metro winner: Town of Claremont for the Bay View Terrace Shared Space Upgrade.
- Rural winner: Shire of Irwin for the Walkability Audit.
Safe Speeds Category
- Winner: City of Wanneroo for the Review of Default State Speed Limits within the City of Wanneroo.
Safe Road Use Category
- Winner: City of Swan for the Reggie’s Road Rules and Tips project.
Safe Vehicles Category
- Winner: City of Stirling and City of Swan joint collaboration Vehicle Safety and Child Restraint Checking Station.
Joe North Award
- Rudi Steffens for an outstanding commitment, dedication and contribution to road safety in Wanneroo and the wider community.
Back to Search Results